I have always loved Horror films. From gore fests, such as the 80’s classics ‘From Beyond’, which is based on an H.P Lovecraft novel, and Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street series and the comedic Re-Animator. Spanning four decades, I also love the Night of the Living Dead series; and also Japanese ghostly, creepy films such as Ringu, Ju-on: The Grudge, Dark Water and the 1960s classic, Kwaidan.
I love the feeling of fearful anticipation when waiting for Jason Voorhees to pounce on some teenagers deep in the woods, and the moments of sheer dread that the music from The Hills Have Eyes remake gave me. The fear I felt when I was about 13 and saw the Grady twins from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, has never been equaled.
It is the Japanese films that inspired me to create 'Don't Open the Door’. (Spoilers ahead…. )There was a scene in Ringu 2, when Sadako’s dead, ghost mother is brushing her hair whilst looking into the oval mirror, in The Yamamura Inn. She slowly turns around and sees Mai the main character, fearfully, watching her. The ghost drifts across the room behind the door where you, the viewer, and Mai, cannot see her. Her head then very slightly peeks around the corner of the door. Her face looks much darker than how it looked previously. It is a rare moment that sent chills up my spine and it is a film clip that I never forgot.
The same effect is visible in Ju-on The Grudge. A creepy girl ghost creeping out of bedclothes, coming around corners and down the stairs and even under duvet covers. I have to hand it to Japanese movie directors such as Hideo Nakata and Takashi Shimzu, they knew how to create proper, non-gore, edge of your seat, scares. Creepy, fleeting movie moments, using everyday household furniture: having terrifying dead girls with long, dark hair popping out from, and around or down from them. You would then be afraid to look under the duvet at night, or look behind the door!
So this image is kind of an homage to the kind of bone-chilling scare. This time it’s the screaming skeleton, looking out at you from the stone door opening. I personally think her facial expression is quite chilling, the open mouth shock/scream look. The way the hands are folded over one another looks as if she's just been awoken from a thousand years in Hell’s warm discomforts. The warmish bright light that she is bathed in completely reveals her, in her ghastly glory. So when planning this shoot and creating the Still Life image, it was the concept of having a face peering out at you from a crack in the door, or a crack in the composition, that inspired me.
So if you have looked in my, 'The Dark Art’ gallery you know that I clearly am a horror aficionado. I don't know if there will be a ghost under my duvet tonight, but where my Horror Photography is concerned, one thing is for certain - watch this space, there will be more!
- May 31, 2017 7 Essential Street Photography YouTube Videos May 31, 2017
- May 24, 2017 The Artist Interviews - A New Passion May 24, 2017
- May 17, 2017 Lets go Flying - Building a Still Life Image May 17, 2017
- May 10, 2017 8 Inspring Watercolour Painting Tutorial Videos on YouTube May 10, 2017
- May 3, 2017 Wildlife in Still Life Photography in the Studio May 3, 2017
- Apr 26, 2017 Six Photographers that have Inspired Me Apr 26, 2017
- Apr 19, 2017 Styling a Fantasy Still Life Image Apr 19, 2017
- Apr 14, 2017 The Inspiration - Still Life Photography & Japanese Horror Movies Apr 14, 2017
- Apr 10, 2017 8 Fantastic Photography Resources on the Web Apr 10, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 A Mother's Love - Still Life Photography & The Animal Kingdom Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 7 Natural Light Portrait Photography YouTube Videos Apr 3, 2017
- Mar 31, 2017 Still Life Image Analysis - The Story Behind the Men with the Horses Heads Mar 31, 2017
- Mar 28, 2017 The Fruit Bowl - My Process in Styling a Still Life Image Mar 28, 2017
- Mar 24, 2017 7 Beginner Art Tutorial Videos on YouTube Mar 24, 2017
- Mar 21, 2017 Black & White or Not? Crafting a Vintage Still Life Image Mar 21, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 'Tribal Wasteland' - Building a Still Life Image Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 14, 2017 Crafting A Still Life Silhouette Image Mar 14, 2017
- Mar 7, 2017 Six Simple One-Light Portrait Photography Setup YouTube Tutorials Mar 7, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Which image is Scariest? How to shoot a portrait of a toy clown & frighten myself silly question Feb 22, 2017
- Jan 16, 2017 How to Turn Water Droplets into Beautiful Bokeh in the Home Studio Jan 16, 2017
- Jan 5, 2017 How to Turn your Photography Portfolio into a YouTube Slideshow Jan 5, 2017
- Nov 9, 2016 Jason Time Nov 9, 2016
- Feb 17, 2016 High Heel Shoes: Styling a Still Life Image Feb 17, 2016
- Feb 11, 2016 Dead Flowers...Why so Colourful? Feb 11, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 The Elephant Idea Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 2, 2016 Inspirational and Artistic Changes to My Photography Feb 2, 2016
- Nov 22, 2015 How to Shoot Glassware Like a Pro - 8 Glass Photography Video Tutorials Nov 22, 2015
- Nov 6, 2015 12 Fantastic Food Photography YouTube Video Tips & Tutorials Nov 6, 2015
- Oct 19, 2015 10 Great Product and Still Life Photography Videos on YouTube Oct 19, 2015
- Oct 7, 2015 The Snake & the Smoke Photography Oct 7, 2015
- Sep 30, 2015 Women’s High Heel Shoes Photography: The Process Sep 30, 2015
- Sep 18, 2015 13 Awesomely Inexpensive Still Life & Product Photography Lighting Techniques From Around the Web Sep 18, 2015
- Aug 20, 2015 10 Essential Accesorries for any Studio Product Photgrapher Aug 20, 2015
- Aug 7, 2015 How to Clean Plexiglass or How I Stopped Worrying & Learned to Love Poly(methyl methacrylate) Aug 7, 2015
- Jul 28, 2015 Adding Layers and Texture to Jewellery Photography Jul 28, 2015
- Jul 10, 2015 Studio Photography - Why Am I Not Outside In The Sunshine? Jul 10, 2015
- Jul 4, 2015 Flower Photography - Part II (The Revenge) Jul 4, 2015
- Jun 28, 2015 Still Life Flower Photography and a Classic Film Noir Jun 28, 2015
- Jun 24, 2015 Context & Flair in Product Photography Jun 24, 2015
- Jun 20, 2015 Creepy or Comic? Dissection of a Still Life Photograph Jun 20, 2015
- Jun 17, 2015 Just One Light - Uncomplicated Lighting Set-Ups Jun 17, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015 Still Life Photography - An Organic Process Jun 15, 2015